Thursday, June 09, 2005

St. Benedict's Girls

I am sure this was a great adventure for you girls, but I want you to know that it was an amazing adventure for me too. Our days on Sedge Island were jam-packed starting on Monday with an early arrival and then some fishing and clamming. We didn’t have much luck with the fishing, but you girls were all the clam queens!! I enjoyed learning all about you and then was flabbergasted by your ability to actually speak gibberish.

Tuesday morning I was impressed by how many shoes I found in the hallway, and how many of you woke up at 5:20 am to watch a hazy sunrise and try for a bite on your fishing lines. You were a rowdy bunch kayaking, but I was impressed that we mad it all the way to the dike to explore the beach. That trip was about 7 miles total! My favorite part was when we were on the dock conducting water quality. I loved our conversation about the osprey and DDT, and how you girls tied in your knowledge from the day. I also liked it when we collected all sorts of aquatic organisms, creepy crawlies and slimy things and all shared our discoveries and looked at them through the binocular scopes. We saw a few horseshoe crabs along the way but the couple near the Sedge House was the most impressive… could you believe how big that female was?

You are all wonderful girls. You all have such strong personalities and are great leaders. When you girls put your heads together on the island we accomplished amazing tasks!!! Keep learning and exploring and I know you will all grow up to be wonderful amazing women!! Just remember a part of your Sedge Island Journey is to share something you learned on the island with someone else.

Donna- how wonderful for these girls to have such an amazing woman as a leader and role model. Thank you, to you and Barbara for bringing such a wonderful group of girls to Sedge Island.

Katina

To comment on this post, click on the "Comments" link below and choose anonymous as your identity.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katina actually made learning fun and I will never forget my experiences on Sedge Island with everyone.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow what is there to say sedge island was so much fun..katina was ausume and the things we learned were intresting we kayaked 7 mile and we couldnt of dont it without katina...i think this was the BEST trip i ever when ok.
Jaye(from sbs)

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really miss Sedge Island and Katina and everything else about the island, even the kayaks! One thing that I don't miss are the mosquitos. I really miss Sedge, it was my home for three long days and I shared so many memories there that I will never forget! Katina is the greatest teacher EVER!!! I want to thank her so much for everything that shetaught me, I will never forget any of it!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katina, Thank you so much for such a great experience for my girls. I was blown away with your knowledge,energy and great style of teaching.The girls loved the hands-on learning and will never forget all the information on marshes,birds,aquatic life ,conservation,tides, fishing, kayaking etc.. They truly learned a semester full of lessons in three days. You truly touched their hearts by both your words and actions. As they said in the journal "You knocked their socks off" Good luck in your teaching! I know you will do great things.Donna Tagliarini
Girls Outdoor Adventure Club
St Benedict School

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katina made this trip so much fun! She was a great leader. Sedge Island was a great place. She taught me how to fish, clam and sein. It was a great experience!!!!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh! Sedge Island was soo much fun. I would have stayed there for a month. Katina was a great techer and friend. Mr Merrick was very smart, and taught us a lot when we were going home on the boat. Sedge Island is the place to be. The program was fun and educational. I am glad i went to Sedge Island.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Sedge Island was the best trip i have ever went on. I cant believe that i made seven miles of Kyaking. I loved learning about the different birds and fish. Katina was awesome. She is really nice and makes marine life really fun. The best game is electric clam. I love to be the one to grab the clam. I will never forget this trip.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all I want to thank ~Katina~ soOoOoOo much. You were an amazing teacher and you were very patient. I learned sOoo MUCh and I just wanted to thank you for that. SEdGe IsLaNd was a great place and a great experience. So KATINA I give you props! *L0L* You great the best and are very smart. Good luck in the future and have a fAnTaSTiC summer!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a lot of fun kayaking, but I got tired after a while. We learned about water quality, we looked through microscopes, and we caught green crabs. Katina is the best teacher! I was upset to leave Sedge but at the same time I was happy to see my family. I hope that when I come back in the future we will have Katina as a leader. I continued to learn how to fish and I went clamming. While I was clamming I caught 3 clams. We ate the clams for dinner that night. Discovering all the different types of birds was very very very intresting and I will never forget about how Pete McClain brought the Osprey back into being and how the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest animal in the world. THANK YOU KATINA!!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katina you were so great and awesome! I never expected to do all of the stuff we did. It was mad awesome! I still can't believe that we woke up a 5:15 - 5:20 to see the hazy but cool sun rise! You made the whole trip worth wile! Hope to see you all at Sedge Island soon! -*Steph P*

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To everyone at Sedge Island: YOU ROCK OUR SOCKS/KNEEHEIGHS!!! Ya'll were AMAZING i would've could've stayed for 5 months!!!!! You guys have a great program and it was really educational but fun! thats what makes learning so much fun!!

~~Stephanie P~~

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey.. i miss katina already. 3 whole boy-free days..that was my favorite part! i luved water quality...whales have bailene, not sailine...
pop pop pop corn
re re re TART!

" anyway, thats me"
gibberish
uggs and kisses...emily

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home