Tuesday, August 16, 2005

NJ Audubon School of Ecology

It was great to have such a wonderful group of students on Sedge Island!


On our long paddle down to the beach we spoke about different plants and marsh ecology. We made observations about our environment and noted the abundance of green head flies. I was amazed that we could hear the roaring ocean from the bay!

On our way we stopped and dug soft clams, crabbed and gathered 3 different species of worms. We hiked to the beach, had some lunch, and got our feet wet in the surf. Afterwards we spoke about the Army Corps of Engineers Dike and saw the exposed geotubes. We came to the conclusion that no matter how much man tries, he cannot beat Mother Nature.

Back at the Sedge house it rained a bit, but that did not stop us from seining and fishing. We looked at killiefish, mumichugs and even a few small juvenile winter flounder.


That evening the advisors did a great activity demonstrating watersheds, and everyone worked together to put the pieces of huge map together to form one watershed.



Advisors Mary, Pat, Scott and Tara, were all wonderful. From identifying different marsh species (not just the birds) to cooking wonderful meals, you were all great! I hope your time at Sandy Hook was as much fun as your time on Sedge Island. Don't forget to check out the pictures from your trip posted at the right. If you have any problems accessing them, just drop me an email and I will try to resolve the issue.

Katina

To comment on this post, click on the "Comments" link below and choose anonymous as your identity (easiest way to post) don’t forget to sign your name on your comment.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katina,
Thank you so much for the hospitality and your endless enthusiasm. We had such a great time. Excellent shoice of activities for our group. If only the greenheads would have cooperated. Kayaking was great
Mary Belko

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place was great and I had a lot of fun these past few days. I really enjoyed all the activities that we did here. I also enjoyed the talks by Jum as well as by Katina who replaced him for the rest of the trip. Kat was a vrey nice person. Kat was very knowledgeable and she was great at answering all of our questions. Thanks for a great time.
Louis Gonzalez
West Orange

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been to an ocean-type place whithout tourists, and lots of rules, and fences. Sedge Island is georgeous. I didn't even mind the green head flies that much. I enjoyed kayaking and clamming. I had a great time.
Rena Katz
Ringoes, NJ

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So yea this place was awesome! I caught my first crab, it was a blueclaw female, and I got to hold it by its swim fins. I also put it to sleep, that was cool. That was definately my highlight at sedge. Thanks for an awesome time.
Kim
Eatontown, NJ

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

School of Ecology
This place was great! It's the first time I have been able to kayak, clam and crab all in one day! Both Jim and Kat were so knowledgeable. I had a great time at Sedge, thanks for the awesome experience.
Sheren

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

School of Ecology
Always a great time. This is one of the best places to get away from everything. Digging for soft shell clams was great fun, as well as kayaking and of course waking up at 5:30am! Katina was also great, it was nice to meet someone new! Had a great time
Nicole

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is so beautiful! I never knew anything like this existed in New Jersey!
Gloria Hernandez

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it seems as if the general consensus is that this place is great, and I agree. Can't get any better, no parents; being out kayaking and great people. Perfect way to spend a few days.
Jess K.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you can't really say that the general consensus if that this place is great, since not everyone wrote here yet, but the way it is going, it seems like Jess it right. This place is beautiful, and I never knew that New Jersey had places like this! This was fun!
Pooja
ps This place would be PERFECT if the green heads were gone!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katina,
This place was awesome again! I love it here! Kayaking was nice! It was really nice to meet you! I enjoyed my time here, and I learned a lot!!
Emily

10:03 PM  
Blogger Sedge Island said...

NJ Audubon Students and Leaders,
You were a great group to have visit Sedge Island. Your enthusiasm was fantastic. I hope many of you students will go on to pursue a career in a conservation related area. Audubon staff members were great. Come again. Jim Merritt

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did actually get to relax at Sedge this time. It was great spending time out there with people I know and can "tolerate" from school, hah. Katina, not Katrina, I will see you thursday hopefully....and I got your message. Most memorable moments with this group were definately when we were eating aka inhaling food. Love my new journal and I'm really going to make an effort to journal at least once or twice a week.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
I had an awesome time with the whole group out on sedge island. I learned loads of stuff about the aquatic life in the area, mostly with engaging, hands-on practices. Fun fun. Not only did I learn a lot, I also made a few friends out of the experience. I want to thank Jim and Katina for being so friendly and enjoyable while we were there. Thanks guys.
Tyler C.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home